Book: The Rainy Day
The Rainy Day is a wonderful book, filled with facts all about why it rains and the effects of the rain on animals, plants, and the ground. This book has beautiful illustrations and simple text that is easy for preschoolers to understand. My daughter is almost two and really liked to point at and name different illustrations. She’s not quite old enough to understand what’s happening, but I figure there’s no harm in introducing the concepts. She really enjoys the outdoors. This is a great book to read for early Spring when many experience frequent rainfall.
It is a paperback book, but the covers are a very thick paper that will definitely hold up to some use. The book was designed by Anna Milbourne and Sarah Gill and was published by EDC Publishing. This book actually comes as part of a set of books all about the weather, called the Weather Picture Book Pack (Sunny Day, Snowy Day, Windy Day, and Rainy Day). They’re all great additions to a preschool classroom.
Other great Usborne Books & More on weather for older children: Weather (accelerated reader), What Makes It Rain?, See Inside Weather and Climate, and My First Reference Book About Our World
Activity: Umbrella & Raindrops
Construction Paper (blue for raindrops, any color for umbrella and handle)
- Cut out the needed pieces (handle, umbrella top, 4 or 5 raindrops)
- If you want the umbrella top decorated, I recommend doing it now, instead of when it has been assembled.
- Glue the handle to the umbrella top
- Measure the length of string needed for the raindrops to hang at the correct height and cut 4 or 5 pieces
- Glue one end of each piece of string to each raindrop
- Glue the other end of the string to the umbrella top and trim any excess string
- Allow to dry and then display
For more Storytime Saturday activities, click HERE.