This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.
A Little Background
I laid my daughter down for a nap one day last week, but she had other plans. She was playing in her crib, which eventually turned into whining and some crying. Then, she stopped after a few minutes. So, like usual, I assumed she had fallen asleep. I always go into her room a few minutes after she’s quiet to make sure she hasn’t covered her face up or anything. I’m a little paranoid.
I walk in and she’s sitting up staring at me. Of course, I’m like, “Dang it! Now she thinks I’m getting her.” Well, I walk over and notice she has some weird looking white stuff around her mouth. I thought she had vomited or something in her crib, so I start frantically searching, looking under her blanket and stuffed animal. Nothing. I don’t see anything on her sheets. Her shirt was a little damp, but that’s it. I was so confused. Then…I see it.
She had been gnawing on her crib rail and chipped the paint off, getting it all over her shirt and face in the process! I’m sure she also ingested some of it. So, I have a mini meltdown about the paint my 15 month old child just ate and then decide I HAVE to get something to cover the crib rail. I immediately do a Google search and find that a crib rail cover costs a minimum of around $15.00 for just one of them! UGH! I started thinking of some alternatives…pool noodles taped around the rail..NOPE, she can bite a chunk of that off and choke on it; ribbon wrapped around the rail…no, she can move that around and still get to the wood; make my own crib rail cover…sure, why not? So off to Hobby Lobby I went.
If you aren’t interested in doing a DIY project, you can totally buy a crib rail cover HERE.
Materials for a Crib Rail Cover
Fabric (I wanted fleece so it would be soft and provide a little more cushion so if she continued to chew on the rail, it wouldn’t leave teeth marks on the crib)
I measured the length of my crib rail (52″), then I wrapped the measuring tape around the crib rail to see how much fabric I would need to secure it (about 7″ for each side). Ribbon seemed like the best option for securing the cover, but velcro would probably work too. I chose to double layer my fabric for extra cushioning, so I needed 14″ of fabric for each rail. I purchased my fabric and ribbon, then got started right away.
Look how fuzzy the fleece is! I got a fuzzier fleece fabric, because Piper LOVES her soft blankies. This fabric is super soft. It also made quite a mess during/after cutting it because of all the fibers. The vacuum saved my sanity with this one.
I laid the fabric out and then cut down the center so I had two pieces of fabric that were 14″ x 52″. Cutting the fabric was a little challenging because the fabric wasn’t cut straight at the store. This project doesn’t demand perfection, so I was able to make it work with a little bit of crooked fabric.
After I cut it in half, I folded the fabric in half, then in half again. This would be about the size of the cover once on the crib rail. I then poked two holes through all the of fabric, about an inch apart, where I wanted the ties to be.
You can see in this photo the two holes on the back pieces of fabric. I strung the ribbon through the holes and then through the holes in the front pieces of fabric. This secured the fabric onto the crib rail. I started with the two ends of the fabric first so it stopped sliding off the rail.
The fabric on one end bunched up, so I ended up cutting a little more off the end so it fit better. I liked the look of it more once smoothed.
After getting the two ends secured, I counted the number of spaces between the slats. I wanted the ties to be even because I’m a perfectionist. Of course, there was an even number, so I just put two in the middle and then one in the middle of the center and ends.
I haven’t done the other crib rail cover yet, because she typically only faces the side with the door when she doesn’t want to take a nap. I may or may not do it depending on how she does with this one.
It turned out super cute! And it’s functional. The other great thing about it is that it only cost me about $9.00 for the materials for both crib rail covers. It didn’t even take that long to make it either…like 30-45 minutes. I definitely think it was worth it.
I hope this is helpful for someone else who is struggling with a gnawing toddler. It seems to have remedied our problem pretty well.